Most everyone is looking forward to filling up on all the amazing food that’s been in the oven for hours, filling the kitchen with the aromas of turkey, pie, stuffing, bread and muffins, and the rest of the Thanksgiving fixings. But what can you do while you’re anxiously waiting for all that food to cook? Colorado Anime Fest’s staff have you covered with their favorite food centric anime series and episodes! So tuck in, and let the anime food marathon begin!
Food and Cooking Series
Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma (Watch it on Crunchyroll)
Food Wars is probably the hottest food and cooking anime at the moment. It seamlessly blends comedy, cooking and action together. Plus it makes some pretty awesome references and plays on common tropes.
- Shokugeki no Soma centers on Yukihira Soma, a middle school student who is determined to surpass his father’s culinary skills. One day, his father decides to close down their family restaurant and hone his skills in Europe. Before leaving he enrolls Soma in an elite culinary school that is extremely difficult to enter with a graduation rate of only 10 percent. Will Souma be able to improve his skills, or will the kitchen prove to be too hot?
Toriko (Watch it on Crunchyroll)
- In a world where the taste and texture of food is extremely important, individuals known as Bishoku-ya, specialize in the acquisition of rare ingredients and animals. Our protagonist, Toriko, possesses incredible strength and knowledge of the animal kingdom in order to fulfill his dream to capture the most precious foods in the world and create the ultimate dinner course. He is currently accompanied by a weak and timid chef who, inspired by Toriko’s ambition, travels with him to improve his culinary skills and find rare ingredients.
Martian Successor Nadesico (Watch on Nozomi Entertainment’s YouTube)
Maybe a bit of an odd choice for a food and cooking list, but main character Akito really just wants to be a chef! If you’re looking for a classic mecha show full of laughs, give this one a try!
- The Jovian Invaders have destroyed our base on Mars, wiped out our space fleets, and now only one ships stands between Earth and Totally Annihilation! Privately funded by the mysterious Nergal Corporation, the High Mobile Battleship Nadesico is the most formidable fighting machine ever conceived, but due to a shortage of trained soldiers the crew is a little unorthodox. Against an assistant cook as a pilot, a general’s daughter in command, and the largest contingent of geeks and misfits ever sent into orbit, the poor Jovians won’t stand a chance!
Yuri!! On ICE (Watch it on Crunchyroll)
Yuri!! On ICE is another hot series right now. While it’s main focus is the world of competitive ice skating, the titular character happens to be a bit of a glutton. Before you know it, you’ll be looking for recipes for Yuri’s favorite meals, like katsudon!
- Yuri Katsuki carried the hope of all Japan on his shoulders in the Figure Skating Grand Prix, but suffered a crushing defeat in the finals. He returned to his hometown in Kyushu and hid away in his family’s home, half wanting to continue skating and half wanting to retire. That was when the five-time consecutive world champion, Viktor Nikiforov, suddenly showed up with his teammate, Yuri Plisetsky, a young skater starting to surpass his seniors. And so the two Yuris and the Russian champion Viktor set out to compete in a Grand Prix like none the world has ever seen!
Silver Spoon (Watch it on Crunchyroll)
- Hachiken Yuugo enrolled in Oezo Agricultural High School for the reason that he could live in a dorm there. In some ways he chose Oezo in an effort to escape the highly competitive prep schools he had attended previously, but he was faced with an entirely new set of difficulties at Oezo, surrounded by animals and Mother Nature. After growing up in an average family, he began to encounter clubs and training the likes of which he had never seen before.
Food and Cooking Centric Episodes
These are episodes of series that have a focus on food or cooking. While some episodes can stand alone, others do have important plot information. Here were some of the staff’s favorite food based episodes!
Cowboy Bebop Episode 11 “Toys in the Attic” (Watch it on Crunchyroll)
- When an unusual, blob-like space creature infects Ein, Faye, and Jet, Spike and Radical Edward must figure out a way to save their friends.
Cowboy Bebop Episode 17 “Mushroom Samba” (Watch it on Crunchyroll)
- After the Bebop crash lands, Ed and Ein’s search for food turns up some very expensive mushrooms with psychedelic side effects!
Kill la Kill Episode 7 “A Loser I Can’t Hate” (Watch it on Crunchyroll)
- After defeating another group of clubs, Ryuko notices her opponents are becoming more and more absurd. Mako points out the reward for beating her is a Three-Star Goku Uniform and a higher quality of life, which prompts Ryuko to come up with a plan.
Sailor Moon S Episode 108 “Usagi Dancing to the Waltz” (Watch on Viz.com)
- Mamoru and the girls receive an invitation to a party hosted by Edwards, an Englishman who lives alone on the outskirts of the town.
Durarara!!x2 Episode 4 “When in Rome do as the Romans Do” (Watch it on Crunchyroll)
- While transporting some mysterious luggage, Celty attempts to escape the biker gangs out to claim the 10 million bounty that’s been placed on her. Caught up in the chaos, Mairu and Kururi join with Kyohei and the others.
Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 8 “Curried High Trip” (Watch it on Nozomi Entertainment’s YouTube)
- A mishap in home ec has some unexpected consequences…
Ranma ½ Season 3 Episode 47 “Transform! Akane the Super-Duper Girl” (Watch on Viz.com)
- Akane eats Happosai’s homemade “Super Soba” and acquires monstrous strength. She decides to use this strength against Shampoo in a martial-arts ping-pong match, but the Super Soba has a surprising side effect!
Also check out these lists for more Food/Cooking Anime suggestions: